Location: 4021 Lepire Drive. Located: between Lepire Drive to the north, Fairview Drive to the west, and Hells Bells Road to the south.
Acres: 17.8 acres
-Parking Two gravel parking areas are available: one on Lepire Drive for approximately 5-6 vehicles and another on Hells Bells Road for approximately 12 vehicles.
-Signs Moffat Open Space contains nearly every classification of signage
More about Moffat Open Space:
The Moffat Open Space was the first acquisition of the Open Space Division, purchased from William H. Moffat. In the early 1920s, William Moffat (1875-1963) amassed vast areas of Nevada rangeland from Carson City to Elko County. He founded the Union Land & Cattle Company and the Union Wool Company, which operated an integrated livestock enterprise including raising, shipping, and marketing beef. A memorial plaque to honor the Moffat family and their legacy to the ranching industry in Nevada is found at the summit
Moffat Open Space contains a diverse landscape and plant composition. Lower Kings Canyon Creek (also known as Eagle Valley Creek), is located at 4,600’ and flows west to east through the property. This creek carries the combined flow for all drainages on the west side of Carson City. Lower Kings Canyon Creek is a fairly narrow channel with a small population of rushes, sedges, and cattails. The creek bank is bordered primarily by perennial grass. The uplands are shrub-dominated with sagebrush, ephedra, rabbitbrush, horsebrush, and others with sparse occurrences of native grasses including Basin wild rye.
- Interpretive: In September 2009, two girl scouts with Troop 475 developed an interpretive trail to the summit. One large granite plaque explained the views from four small numbered plaques along the trail. - A 0.4-mile paved path network connects the Linear Park Trail / Route 6 and Mexican Ditch Trail.