Judge John Tatro has been Justice of the Peace/Municipal Court Judge in Carson City, Department II, since 1995. However, Judge Tatro began his judicial career as the Hearings Officer for the Nevada State Gaming Control Board serving in that capacity from 1987 – 1995.
Some of Judge Tatro’s judicial accomplishments are:
• Voted 2003 Judge of the Year by the Nevada Judges Association;
• Has attended many classes at the Nevada Judicial College, and
the National Center for State Courts, and has attained the level of
Distinguished Jurist in Judicial Education;
• 2008 President of the Nevada Judges Association of Limited
• Member of the State Judicial Council;
• Member of the Judicial Code Commission (Supreme Court
• Began Mental Health Court in March, 2005;
• Member of the Specialty Court Funding Committee (Supreme Court
• Member of the Court Technology Committee (Supreme Court Appointment);
• Worked with justice court staff to implement a more effective case management system;
• Expanded the Department of Alternative Sentencing to ensure compliance with court-ordered sentences.
Judge Tatro feels that it is not only important to be active in his profession but also feels strongly that it is important to be very involved in the community. Some of his community involvement consists of:
• 2000-2001 President of the Rotary Club of Carson City, serves on the Board of Trustees of the Rotary Foundation
and has since 2000, and has been a member of the Rotary Club since 1995.
• 2006 President of the Board of Directors of the Boys & Girls Club of Western Nevada, and currently serves on the
Board and has since 1995.
• Member of the steering committee for Partnership Carson City, an anti-methamphetamine coalition, commencing
• Vice President of Circles of Support, an organization to end homelessness.
Judge Tatro has also been very active with the youth in the community, having coached basketball, baseball, soccer, and taught skiing for the Carson City Recreation Program for 10 years.