The aftermath of a flood is also a period of danger. By following these precautions, you can protect yourself and your family.
- STAY OUT OF THE FLOOD AREA until authorities permit you back into the area.
- Once out of the area, people will not be permitted to return until conditions permit - your presence could hamper rescue and other operations, and you may be in danger.
- When allowed to go back, report any signs of hazardous materials, hazardous situations, or other potential dangers.
- DO NOT TURN THE GAS BACK ON YOURSELF.
- DO NOT handle live electrical wires. Rely on the utility company crews.
- DO NOT use food that has come in contact with the floodwater.
- Make sure drinking water is not contaminated. Wells should be pumped out, chlorinated and tested before drinking.
- Use flashlights to examine buildings, not lanterns or matches: flammables may be inside.
- Stay tuned to the local EAS station for important information.